Address: 8 Princess Ave Rosebery 2018 NSW Australia.
Phone: 02 96635611 Fax: 02 96635612
Resume ~ David Humphries
Born Wollongong NSW Australia. Date: 28th May 1948
1965 Leaving Certificate - The Illawarra Grammar School
1969 Painting Diploma - National Art School Sydney
1975 Post Graduate Diploma Arts Administration - The City University London
- Director of Applied & Decorative Arts for Merlin International Properties, designed and produced the decorative arts component of major retail developments such as the original Harbourside Festival Marketplace, Darling Harbour, and the International Award Winning retail and commercial centre Skygarden in Sydney's CBD
- Established Public Art Squad P/L - Co Directed Community Mural Projects across Australia
Including the Sulman Award winning Mural Think Globally Act Locally in Redfern; Peace, Justice & Unity, Sydney; the 10th Year Celebration Mural for the Sydney Opera House, a series of murals for Devonshire St Subway, Central Railway
- Co authored The Mural Manual a Guide to Community Murals in Australia
Published by the Arts Council NSW
- David Humphries was the first Policy / Project Officer for Community Arts & Visual Arts Crafts for
The Division of Cultural Activities - Ministry for the Arts - Premiers Department NSW Government
AWARDS & PRIZES
- Public Artworks Commendation Bourke Street Mall Tramway Zone Melbourne, Victoria
- SPASA Award 2005 for commercial swimming pool over $250,000
- American Terrazzo & Mosaic Association Inc Honour Award 1998
- Sir John Sulman Prize 1985 - for Public Art Mural- Redfern Sydney
- NSW Tourism Award 1988 to Harbourside Darling Harbour
- International Innovative Design Award 1991 to Skygarden
- National Outdoor Advertising Award 1978- Neon Arch Moomba Festival
- Professional Development Award NSW Ministry for the Arts 1996
- Australia Council Travel Training Fellowship - London, 1974-5
- Australia Council Travel Training Fellowship New York 1976
PUBLIC ART COMMISSIONS
- Public art project commissioned by Hornsby Council
- Vendome Seaforth - decorative terrazzo mosaic floors for private residence
- Prefabricated pavement inserts Thirroul Shopping Precinct
Commissioned by Wollongong Council
- HMAS Brisbane Memorial, outdoor paving installation
Commissioned by Maroochy Shire Council, Qld
- Terrazzo artwork installations for The Heights Residential Development, Tamworth NSW
Urban Design - Annand Aclcock, Landscape Design Patio, Commissioned by Nuriva Pty Ltd
- City of Melbourne Implemented the roadway artwork for Melbourne’s Bourke Street Mall.
In the centre of the city, it’s the largest public artwork in Australia.
A multi-million dollar collaboration that included hundreds of people, it has revamped the area before
Melbourne’s Commonwealth Games.
Commissioned by Prof Rob Adams Director Design & Culture - City of Melbourne
- Fairfield Council Curran Park
Playground installation Black Birds - pre cast in black concrete installed into circular pathway
Commissioned by Fairfield Council Landscape Dept
- Blacktown City Council Sherwood Park
Sculptural installation marble mosaic lizards for pathways
Commissioned by Blacktown City Council Landscape Dept
- Amphora Residential Resort Palm Cove Cairns QLD
Terrazzo installation in swimming pool - collaboration with Andrew Prowse, Landscape Architects
Commissioned by Barclay Mowlan Constructions Ltd
- Luna Park, Sydney - painted roadway designs in collaboration with Site Image, Landscape Architects
Commissioned by Multiplex
- Public Art plan strategy for Centenary Park Residential Development, Homebush West
Commissioned by Michael Raad. Architect - Robert Creed
- Campbelltown Catholic Club extensions to Terrazzo art floor in lobby Architect - Scott Carver
- Steel Park Community Centre Marrickville
Terrazzo art floor in main entrance and Cenetaph - Commissioned by Marrickville Council
- Reinstatement of Peace Justice & Unity mural (originally painted in 1984)
Pilgrim House, Sydney CBD - sponsored by the NSW Premier, Lord Mayor of Sydney and Multiplex
- The Australian National Maritime Museum Darling Harbour
Terrazzo art floor in Main entrance
Commissioned by the Australian Maritime Museum through Cox Architects
- Minto House - Series of marble mosaic for terrace - Private Commission
- Kersch House Vaucluse sculptural installations and murals - Private Commission
- Fioranis Restaurant Harbourside mural and sculptural installation - Private Commission
- Pop Jet Fountain - Woy Woy -Terrazzo mosaic
Commissioned by Gosford City Council
- The Fashion and Textile Museum London Entrance Lobby floors in terrazzo / mirror mosaic
Commissioned by Zandra Rhodes
Architect Ricardo Legorreta - Mexico
- Zandra Rhodes beach house-Del Mar California -Two terrazzo terraces
Commissioned by Salah Hassanein
- The Fashion and Textile Museum London Entrance Hall to apartments - terrazzo mosaic
Commissioned by Zandra Rhodes
- Canberra Exhibition Centre Outdoor Plaza, Regatta Point ACT
Terrazzo artwork based on Walter Burley Griffins concept plan for Canberra
Commissioned by National Capital Authority
- Balmoral Beach pavement inserts Marble Mosaic
Commissioned by Mosman Council
- Netherlands Australia Memorial - Canberra -Terrazzo artwork
Commissioned by National Capital Authority
- Chelsea Apartments Chatswood - 9 terrazzo pavement inserts
Site Image Landscape Architects - Commissioned by Mulitplex
- Warringah Mall -Sun Symbol -Plaza Terrazzo / mosaic inlay
Commissioned by AMP Properties - Architect - Woods Bagot
- The Olympic Journey Celebration Pathway 'SIGN FOR THE DREAM'
sited in front of the Convention Centre South Darling Harbour
Commissioned by AMP Olympic Marketing
- Zandra Rhodes beach house California: Terrazzo terraces
Commissioned by Salah Hassanien
- HONOR AWARD 1998 - American Terrazzo & Mosaic Association Inc
- Campbelltown Regional Gallery terrazzo artwork in collaboration with Peter Day and local
Commissioned by Campbelltown Council
- Star City Casino -The north entrance lobby and Lagoon Bar floors (incl bar top and cocktail tables)
Architects - Cox Hillier and Landmark LA - Commissioned by Leighton Constructions
- Queensland Clunes Ross Centre for Science and Industry Brisbane - entrance lobby terrazzo/marble floor
Architect - Bligh Voller Nield - Commissioned by Queensland Government
- St Vincent's Hospital Toowoomba -Entrance lobby floors and garden art work
Commissioned by St Vincent’s Hospital
- Robina Town Centre - Gold Coast, Queensland
2 large outdoor Terrazzo floor works in the Town Square & Lakeside Performance Zone Plazas
Architects - Jerde Partnership, LA and Cameron Chisholm Nicol
Commissioned by Robina Town Developments
- White Sands Shopping Centre Singapore
Public art direction and production of artworks for the development
Architects - Stephenson & Turner - Commissioned by OCBC Property Services
- The Glasshouse', Sydney three story Terrazzo wall mural
Commissioned by Kumagai Australia Pty Ltd, Architects Bligh Voller Nield
- Erina Square Shopping Centre - sculptural installations commissioned by Lend Lease Design
- Telok Ayer Festival Marketplace Singapore - Terrazzo fountain & murals.
Commissioned by Scott's Holdings
- Tech Pacific Rosebery - Terrazzo Art floor entrance and Courtyard Murals - Architect David Fleeting
- La Meridian Hotel Noumia - Marble Mosaic for Lobby - Architect Chhada Siembieda
- Campbelltown Catholic Club - Foyer and Bistro terrazzo art floors Architect Scott Carver
- Aussie Rules Club Kings Cross - Terrazzo Entrance lobby
- Harbourside Darling Harbour -Terrazzo art floor Northern Plaza Architect Scott Carver
- Anglican Retirement Village - Mosaic floor Memorial
- St Mary's Cathedral Sydney - Cardinal's Reception Hall, Cathedral House - Terrazzo floor
Referees: Prof Robert Adams Director City Projects City of Melbourne
John Stringer Curator Kerry Stokes Collection
Bernice Gerrand CCDU Australia Council
Zandra Rhodes London / California
Directed by artist David Humphries, Public Art Squad Pty Limited, is a unique service in Australia.
The company creates site specific artwork, putting visual images to work in public places.
Public Art Squad produces original artwork aimed at adding cultural and capital value.
We work closely with communities, architects, designers, planners and developers on large scale public art projects, integrating art, craft and decoration with modern architecture.
ARTIST STATEMENT - DAVID HUMPHRIES
I am well versed in working collaboratively with a wide range of building industry professionals; this is essential in achieving the projects undertaken.
As Director of Applied and Decorative Arts for Merlin International Properties I was responsible for delivering a vast program of commissions and collaborating with the team of architects, project manages, engineers, marketing and leasing consultants etc.
This experience is common on all my commissions.
My Arts Administration training, and work at the Ministry of the Arts, Premiers Department NSW Govt. has given me valuable experience and understanding of political, curatorial and cultural dimensions.
The collective unconscious and intuitive response to a space can have a great impact in developing a concept for a work. I research the brief and draw on my education and experience for ideas.
The architectural statement has a strong influence to the style and statement of the work.
Often the input of other professionals on the team can give a clearer understanding of the whole, and can be inspirational in developing ideas and concepts towards a physical realisation.
David Humphries is one of the country’s most celebrated public artists. In a career spanning over 30 year, Humphries has re-imagined the way Australian cities can present and promote their public spaces. The director of Public Art Squad, he has proved that art can add cultural and capital value to a city. A regular speaker at conferences and symposiums, Humphries is at the heart of the movement towards ‘Creative Cities”.
Energising Public Spaces
Humphries has worked with communities since the 1970’s. He has created hundreds of murals throughout Australia, including:
- The Peace, Justice and Unity mural in Sydney’s CBD
- The Devonshire Street Subway murals, at Central Railway.
- Think Globally, Act Locally in Redfern, awarded the Sir John Sulman Prize in 1985.
- The Sydney Opera House 10th Anniversary Mural
The co-author of the Mural Manual, published in 1982, his work has received countless prizes.
Breaking New Ground
Since the 1990’s Humphries has expanded his artistic output to include mosaics and terrazzo flooring. He is responsible for infusing the classical European medium with a distinctively colourful and Australian aesthetic that has now graced over fifty large-scale floors. High profile projects include:
- The Olympic Journey Celebration Pathway, at Darling Harbour.
- The National Maritime Museum, in Sydney
- The Fashion and Textile Museum, in London
- Star City Casino, in Sydney
- The National Capital Authority have commissioned him to create several memorials, including the Walter Burleigh Griffin tribute at the Canberra Exhibition Centre.
While these floors have become exclusive and sought after features in luxury hotels and private homes, Humphries has balanced this with a commitment to public arts. New floors continue to be created in council areas and public spaces.
Humphries’ depth of experience and achievement leaves Public Art Squad well positioned to take on large scale and ambitious projects. High profile achievements include:
- The Harbourside Festival Marketplace at Darling Harbour, a pioneering project of groundbreaking scale.
- Skygardens, a major retail development in Sydney’s CBD.
- The Tramway Zone artwork for Melbourne’s Bourke Street Mall. At over 300 metres in the centre of the city, it’s the largest public artwork in Australia. A multi-million dollar collaboration that included hundreds of people, it has revamped the area before Melbourne’s Commonwealth Games.
PUBLIC ART SQUAD Pty Ltd
ABN 95 067 273 554
8 Princess Avenue Rosebery NSW 2018 Australia
Phone: (02) 9663 5611
Facsimile (02) 9663 5612